Elmet Farmhouse - Terms & Conditions
Bookings and payments
1. Full week bookings are Friday to Friday (7 nights). Short breaks are for a minimum of 2 nights, normally starting on Friday or Monday.
2. Reservations can be made via the owners' website, by email or by phone. Bookings remain provisional until payment has been received. In addition, online booking may be available via the Farmstay website.
3. A non-refundable 50% deposit is payable at the time of booking. Full payment is due two calendar months before the start of your holiday. If the full balance is not paid by the due date, we reserve the right to cancel the booking.
4. Guests booking directly with the owners will be requested to pay by direct bank transfer (BACS). Guests booking via Farmstay may be able to pay their initial deposit by credit or debit card payments using the online booking system, if activated.
5. Provisional bookings will be held for a maximum of 24hrs. Unless the booking is confirmed and payment received within this period, the booking will be cancelled.
6. In the event of cancellation by guests prior to the start of the holiday, refunds are discretionary and will only be considered if the property is re-let. We reserve the right to refuse or cancel any bookings without further liability on our behalf. In this event, a full refund will be given.
7. We reserve the right to levy additional charges and / or a security deposit for children, extra guests, late bookings and non-standard bookings.
Arrival and departure
8. Arrival time is no earlier than 4pm. Departure time is no later than 10am.
9. On arrival, two keys will be issued. Lost keys will be charged at £20 each.
10. On departure, the Farmhouse must be left clean and tidy. All crockery, cutlery and implements should be washed and put away.
11. All damage must be paid for. An automatic penalty of £250 will be charged if the Farmhouse is left in an unacceptably dirty condition or if the buildings and/or its contents have been abused.
Guests and children
12. The maximum number of guests permitted to stay in Elmet Farmhouse at any one time is normally limited to 6. Up to 2 additional guests may be accommodated by prior arrangement at the owner’s discretion subject to additional charges. No more than 8 guests are allowed in total.
13. No organized or impromptu parties are to be held at Elmet Farmhouse under normal circumstances, including stag parties and hen parties.
14. The Farmhouse must not be used for any dangerous, noxious, illegal, immoral, offensive, noisy or anti-social activities. Guests causing a nuisance or annoyance to the owners, or breaking the terms and conditions of the holiday let, will be required to leave.
15. Due to the historic nature of the property, which is a Grade II Listed 18th century building, we regret that the Farmhouse is not suitable for visitors with mobility problems. The stairs are steep and there are no bathrooms or toilets on the ground floor.
16. Well-behaved children are welcome at Elmet Farmhouse, but it is essential that children are supervised and controlled at all times, both within the Farmhouse and elsewhere on the premises, including the farmyard, the garden, the fields and the drive.
17. Parents with toddlers are advised that the stairs are steep and there are no child gates. Young children are welcome but extra vigilance is required by parents and/or responsible adults to ensure their safety. The owners cannot be held responsible for any injury or accidents on the premises.
Pets, smoking and fire precautions
18. No dogs, pets or animals of any kind are permitted at Elmet Farmhouse.
19. Elmet Farmhouse is a No Smoking property. No smoking is permitted inside the Farmhouse.
20. No candles are permitted at Elmet Farmhouse due to fire risk and the risk of damaging the furniture with hot wax.
21. Care must be taken when using the wood-burning stove. Please follow the instructions carefully and ensure that the door to the stove is kept closed once the fire has been lit. In order to avoid damaging the flue, only seasoned wood is to be burnt in the stove. A fire extinguisher and a fire blanket are provided. A fireguard is available on request.
22. The living room and kitchen both have fire doors. As a safety precaution, guests are requested to ensure that these doors are closed at night.
23. There is a heat detector in the kitchen, a carbon monoxide detector outside the first floor bedrooms and wired smoke detectors throughout the house. Please do not tamper with these important safety devices. If any of the alarms go off, please leave the building immediately and contact the owner.
Septic tank, water and energy
24. Sewerage at Elmet Farmhouse is by means of a private septic tank, which also serves the neighbouring house. It is vital that nothing is put the drains that might block the pipes or affect the workings of the septic tank. No tampons, sanitary towels, nappies, pads, plastics, cotton wool, hair, foodstuffs or any non-biodegradable material should be put down any of the toilets, sinks, basins, baths and showers. No bleach or bleach-based cleaning products should be used as these will damage the biological processes in the septic tank. Guests acting irresponsibly will be liable for the cost of unblocking drains, emptying the septic tank and/or any other remedial work required to restore the system.
25. The Farmhouse is on mains water. Please do not leave taps unnecessarily or waste water as we are on a water meter.
26. The Farmhouse is very well insulated and has been equipped with an eco-boiler, smart meters, and low energy bulbs and appliances. Please use resources responsibly and do not waste gas and electricity.
Doors, windows and security
27. There are four Velux windows in the attics. To avoid rain water damage, please ensure that these windows are closed when you go out, or if it is raining when you are in other parts of the house.
28. Please shut the doors when you are out in the garden in order to prevent mice, birds, cats or other animals entering the house.
29. The Farmhouse has two five-lever mortice locks on each of the exterior doors and window locks on all the windows. Please ensure that all doors and windows are locked when leaving the house.
30. Guests are reminded that the security of your possessions in the Farmhouse and in your vehicles is your own responsibility.
31. Guests are advised to take special care on the steep staircases and on the steps in the utility room/kitchen.
32. Guests are strongly advised not to go under the eaves in the attics as there are low beams. To avoid unnecessary accidents, please ensure that all members of your party are made aware of this potential hazard, especially children.
33. Taller guests should take care in the utility room when walking under the wall-hung electricity meter cabinet, and when ascending the stairs to the attic, as the stairwell ceiling height is lower at this point.
34. Guests are reminded that the Farmhouse is a historic building and that it was previously a working farm. Some of the paths are uneven and the stone paving may be slippery at times. For your own safety, please take care inside the Farmhouse and elsewhere on the premises, including the farmyard, the garden, the main drive and on the drive and pathways to the neighbouring house.
Furniture, furnishings and appliances
35. Please remove all stilettos and narrow-heeled shoes when entering the farmhouse in order to avoid damaging the linoleum floor in the kitchen, utility room, hall and bathrooms.
36. Please remove boots and shoes before walking on the carpets.
37. The Farmhouse has been furnished and equipped to a high standard. Guests are requested to respect the furniture, furnishings, ornaments, works of art and appliances in the property.
38. To avoid damage, please do not move the furniture.
39. To avoid breakages and accidents, please ensure that children do not jump on the chairs, sofa, window seats and beds or climb on the tables, bookcases and cabinets.
40. To avoid marking the furniture and kitchen units, please use the mats and coasters provided. To avoid spillages, please do not allow children to take drinks out of the kitchen and please do not take food into the lounge.
41. Guests are advised that if the building or its contents are damaged as a result of irresponsible or malicious behavior by visitors, including children, an automatic penalty of £250 will be charged. The owners reserve the right to levy additional charges to cover the full cost of repair or replacement.
42. If you experience problems with any appliances or if there are spillages or any minor breakages during your stay, please inform us as soon as possible.
Barn, farmyard, garden
43. The Farmhouse has its own private garden with outdoor seating at the front of the property, accessed through a wooden gate next to the Farmhouse. Please note, there is no access to the garden in front of the barn or to the other gardens belonging to the neighbouring house.
44. The adjacent fields are grown for hay between April and August and may sometimes be used for grazing. Some access may be possible at other times at the owners’ discretion. Advice will be given on arrival and is subject to conditions. If permitted, entry to the fields is entirely at the guest’s own risk and children must be supervised by parents or responsible adults at all times.
45. Please note, there is no access to the neighbouring barns. These areas are strictly private and are out of bounds.
46. No ball games are permitted inside the Farmhouse or in garden, the farmyard or the drive. Ball games may be possible in the fields at certain times of year at the owners’ discretion (see note 44 ).
Parking and access
47. Parking for two cars is provided next to the Farmhouse. An additional vehicle can be accommodated on a gravel area nearby.
48. Please note that the farmyard is required for turning, deliveries and access to the field and barns. No parking is permitted in the farmyard except by prior arrangement, Please do not block the entrance to the adjoining house as access is required at all times. Please do not park in our neighbours’ private parking area at the top of the main drive.
49. When reversing, please take care not to hit the walls of the barn or the low-walled flower bed in the farmyard.
50. When pulling out of the drive onto the road, please proceed carefully and check for traffic in both directions before pulling out.
51. Visitors are warned that the drive is steep and can be slippery in icy or snowy conditions. When snow is forecast, please park on the road, otherwise you are likely to get stuck and you may block the drive.
52. The owners cannot accept responsibility for damage to guests’ vehicles anywhere on the premises, including the farmyard and on the drive.
Mobiles and wi-fi
53. There is no landline in the Farmhouse, but there is reasonable mobile reception.
54. Free wi-fi is provided but please note that, due to the thickness of the stone walls in the farmhouse, signal strength varies in different rooms and reception may not be sufficient for Apple devices such as iphones and ipads in all areas of the house.
The owners reserve the right to vary these Terms and Conditions at their discretion at any time.
Fire safety and access
Elmet Farmhouse is fitted with heat and smoke detectors and a carbon monoxide alarm. Firedoors are fitted to the kitchen and living room, which guests are advised to close at night. Further fire safety precautions are provided to guests on arrival.
The farmhouse is on three floors and, because of the historic nature of this 18th century building, the stairs are quite steep. Although there are stair rails, the house is not suitable for people with mobility problems as all the bedrooms are upstairs and there is no bathroom or toilet on the ground floor.
There is a walk-in shower in the attic on the second floor and a shower over a bath in the bathroom on the first floor.
Toddlers are welcome but will need to be closely supervised because of the wood-burning stove in the living room and the steep stairs. A stairgate, fireguard, wicker cot (Moses basket), high chair and baby bath are all available on request.
For further information about Fire Safety and Access, see Terms and Conditions on Elmet Farmhouse website: www.elmetfarmhouse.co.uk