Swallows Nest is so called because it was the perfect summer retreat for the Swallows which visit us each year .
As the cottage is all on one level (apart from two steps down into the twin bathroom) we have renovated it to not only be used for able-bodied people but also for those who are in a wheelchair or have difficulty in walking .
It has an Accessible Grade Level 3
There are more details about these facilites at the bottom of this page.
Whilst the facilities provided for the disabled are excellent they have also been used sympathetically and are in keeping with the age and character of the building.
In 2002 it was the winner of the County Durham Environmental Award which rated it top in the County for accessible accommodation.
This cottage has two bedrooms both en-suite. The main bedroom has a double bed with pine furniture . The second bedroom has twin beds with traditional oak furniture .
The kitchen cum dining room has all the facilities required for a relaxing break for everyone and includes a full-sized fridge/freezer, a microwave , oven and hob and washing machine/tumble drier . The ceiling of the kitchen has been left open to reveal the original beams.
In the separate sitting room , there is a colour television and video, comfortable suite and a real fire which will burn either coal or logs .
this room overlooks the fields where our sheep and cattle graze, the ceiling of this room also has exposed beams
The single bedded room has an en-suite bathroom with bath, toilet and handbasin.
The double bedded room has added facilities for the comfort of our guests with walking difficulties, please see below for more details.
SWALLOWS NEST, DISABLED FACILITIES
Swallows Nest is specifically designed to enable a disabled guest to visit our cottage and farm; many have done so and returned time and time again.
As we live near to the cottage ourselves, we are on hand to give assistance and can be contacted during the night if necessary.
The cottage has been awarded a Category 3 Grading by the English Tourism Council for Accessibility,(Grade 1 lowest and 4 the highest) In 2003 we were nominated for and subsequently won the County Durham Environment Award for Accessible Accommodation, making Swallows Nest the best in County Durham !! This is in addition to the 4 Stars given for comfort and equipment. (Grade 1 lowest and 5 the highest).The whole of the cottage (except Bathroom 2) are flat, without gradients or ramps.
Throughout the cottage there is ample space to manoeuvre a wheelchair with a clear area in each room to allow for turning. The floor coverings are either lino or short-pile carpet to aid movement. All the light switches, rails and coat hooks are lowered and the sockets are higher than in a conventional house. Nearly all the furniture is free standing so that it can be moved to suit your individual requirements.
The parking space and garden have been created into a flat area so that guests with walking difficulties as well as wheelchair-users can appreciate our beautiful countryside.
· Large comfortable settee and chair. Both have arms and high backs. Chair raisers are provided.
· Free access to all worktops.
· Sink with clear under space.
· Lowered hob with clear under space.
· Access to controls on all equipment including the hob, oven, washing machine and microwave.
· Raised oven to allow for transfer of food to worktop.
· Fridge and freezer are accessible to the disabled guest.
· Dining table has a higher than average surface, with clear under space to allow access for a wheelchair.
· Double bed, with raised surface and clear space on both sides to allow for transfer.
· Bed Blocks are provided.
· Lowered wardrobe rail for ease of use.
· Telephone next to the bed, which is for the sole use of the cottage and accepts outgoing as well as incoming calls.
· Drive in shower without step or lip and anti-slip drying area.
· Foldaway shower seat with handrail positioned on the wall opposite the transfer side. There is a drop-down rail on the transfer side of the seat.
· Raised toilet seat with fixed handrail on the wall opposite the transfer side. In addition there is a drop-down handrail on the transfer side.
· 4" toilet seat raiser provided.
· Washbasin with lever taps and clear under space to allow for wheelchair access. There is a vertical handrail to the left of the washbasin to aid support.
· Fully manoeuvrable shower chair/commode with removable armrests.
· Horizontal rail attached to door to enable it to be closed from a seated position.
Bedroom and Bathroom 2
Twin bedded bedroom giving access to bathroom with bath.
Please note there are two steps down into bathroom 2.